Exciting opportunity to get involved and make a difference in an amazing community project!
South Lockleaze and Purdown Neighbourhood Group CIC is looking to recruit a Treasurer to the board to help with finances and book-keeping for the Old Library Project.
The CIC took over running of the building formally known as Eastville Library in May 2016. We run it as a community space, for hire, as a community cafe, and put on events for the local community. We have a formal lease of the Old Library building from Bristol City Council.
The project has been a tremendous success, and as the group evolves and matures we have taken the decision to expand the board of directors.
The Directors are a small group of 4 local residents, who are passionate about the cause and are invested in making the most of The Old Library for the whole community. We have recently grown the team from 3 to 4 and are now looking for another director to take on the role of treasurer. The treasurer will take care of the finances for The Old Library but the overall responsibility will lie with all directors. This is a great chance to be part of a friendly team who are passionate about the community project. of which recently we recruited for and are successfully inducting a new director to the team.
Expectations of the Directors
- This is a voluntary role with no remuneration but we do provide training, support and social events for all volunteers.
- The board will meet at least monthly and we do try to make all meetings flexible so that people can attend. We are seeking Directors that have this time to offer and could attend most meetings.
- Board Meetings will be focussed on active decision making on governance, strategy and plans, and on ensuring actions and plans are followed though.
- As an informal organisation Directors may also be called upon to assist or advise volunteers or the Volunteer Coordinator on an ad hoc basis if appropriate.
- In addition Directors are encouraged to be involved with significant events and general promotion of the activities at The Old Library
- This is a governance role. You will have legal responsibilities as a Director of this Community Interest Company. Please see the Companies House website for information on Directors responsibilities.
- It is not a prerequisite to live in the area but as a community led organisation we encourage applicants who feel as though they have the time and skills to apply.
Treasurer job spec
- Managing bank account
- Set up appropriate systems for book-keeping, payments & petty cash
- Ensure everyone handling money keeps proper records and documentation
- Ensure that appropriate financial systems and controls are in place
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts, reports/financial statements to the Board
- Present revised financial forecasts based on actual spend
- Ensure use of funds complies with conditions set by funding bodies
- Ensure fundraising and sales complies with relevant legislation and is bound by effective financial systems and controls
What we are looking for
- Committed people who understand the nature of community development at the grassroots level.
- Preferably someone who has had prior experience in finance and accounting, and has experience of being a manager, Director or Trustee of a community group. We also encourage applications from those with significant community development experience that have not held senior positions.
- Essential qualities that we are looking for as a director:
- Commitment to the values and vision of the project (see attached summary from the volunteer handbook)
- Ability to inspire and motivate the wide range of volunteers involved
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Effective team working
- Ability to develop strategies to help ensure the sustainability of the Old Library
- Experience in maintaining and reviewing policies and procedures
The Old Library is a warm and kind environment where you will meet people from the local community and further afield. This rewarding role is one in which you will get to see your ideas materialise and you will be ensuring the survival of a project that is a great lifeline for many people.
If you are interested in applying for this position then please fill in the application form found on the website or hardcopies at The Old Library and return it to email@example.com or post/ drop in to Emily Shimell The Old Library, Muller Road, BS5 6XP by 1st December.